- Public sector entering ‘wild west’ as UK hits peak GDPR frenzy, says ST2 Technology
- Smart Cities: Vehicle routing and its contribution to a 'smart' environment with the help of asset finance
- Are consumers’ opinions of hybrid vehicles changing?
- ABM Critical Solutions completes emergency clean for London college
- UK public sector procurement: current state of play
Having launched Envirocup XL, the new cup collection and recycling bin that can accommodate every size of disposable cup up to 103mm in diameter, Leafield Environmental now introduces the Enviropod, to stand along side it.
The Enviropod is a stylish recycling bin specifically designed for the collection of plastic cup lids. The need for such a bin was highlighted by Simply Cups, the UK’s only collection and recycling service dedicated to turning paper cups into second-life materials.
The Simply Cups scheme seeks address the UK’s fastest growing waste stream: the estimated 2.5 billion paper drinking cups disposed of each year, many or even most of which are accompanied by a plastic lid.
“In order for the scheme to succeed we needed an efficient means of collecting the cups and a separate receptacle to segregate the plastic lids,” said Maddie Hickman, Simply Cups Scheme Manager. “We identified the need for lid collection and Leafield were quick to respond with a design that complements the Envirocup XL cup collection bin that is playing a significant role in the London ‘Square Mile Challenge’”.
The Square Mile Challenge aims to collect and recycle half a million cups a month. In the future, the scheme will also ensure that the plastic lids themselves become a further reusable material stream.